Help the Bats! Hamilton has a special population of native bats just loving life in our beautiful gullies. The scary news is, their population is threatened, but the good news is - you can be part of protecting them!
It is critical that we know where bats live in the city, so that we can protect their habitat. Project Echo has just completed the first round of a city wide bat survey and is now looking for volunteers to help over the Summer with the second round of surveying
As a volunteer, you will be tasked with setting up automatic bat monitors in our bush areas and helping gather important information on bat habitat. Training (and pizza) is provided!!
Almaz, a Volunteer for the Project Echo 2016-17 survey thinks the benefits for volunteers are:
- fantastic opportunity to connect with like-minded people who are passionate for the environment
- be part of a city-wide project for the protection of the long-tailed bat, a threatened species, and our only native land mammal.
- to learn about bats
- make a difference to our natural habitat and ecosystems.
- help us find out about how to bring them and biodiversity back into our backyard
- share your knowledge
- rediscover Hamilton Gullies from the perspective of a bat
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Anna on email@example.com or 0223546550 First volunteer training will be on Tuesday the 5th of December, 5.30-7.30pm at Go Eco.